what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Tuesday 10 April 2012

Jennifer

In transit on the way home, I show my passport to an official-looking woman.  She wears a beige waistcoat over a white shirt and her hair is carefully gelled to one side.  On her shoulders are brown epaulettes with a yellow stripe.  She has large gold earrings.

We exchange pleasantries about my stay as the business is transacted.  She gives me back my passport and I begin to explain my request.  'New Year's Resolution?' she interrupts, 'You're a bit late with 'dat'.  I tell her that I need to find a new middle name every day.  'You want to know my middle name?'  Her eyes light up and she tells me with pride.  When I ask if there is any reason for it she seems taken aback by the question.  'My mum has passed away so I can't even ask her', she says, 'and my dad don't care what name he called me'.

I wish her a good day and she wishes me a safe flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment